CRONTAB Question

Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov
Fri Jul 1 16:15:56 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Jason Dixon
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:53 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: CRONTAB Question

On Jun 30, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Kelley.Coleman at med.va.gov wrote:

> I have several entries in a crontab.  All create an e-mail to the user
> account and I want that on all but one.  The one job runs every 10
> minutes
> with output to a log.  I'm getting lots of e-mails over the course of
> a day.
> What syntax is needed to prevent the e-mail on that one entry?

0	*	*	*	*	/path/to/some/command 1>/dev/null

The redirection of stdout (1) to /dev/null is the important part.
You'll still get any errors reported to stderr (2) emailed to the user
in case of problems.  Of course, that assumes that the job writes to
the log internally, not by piping stdout through logger or some other
similar mechanism.

--
THANK YOU...that worked wonderfully well....

Kelley

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting