RHEL without License?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Jul 6 13:42:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 04:50:23PM +0400, Security wrote:
> Rik Herrin wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure if this question has been brought up
> >before or not.  I was asked by someone if they can
> >continue running RHEL after their yearly subscription
> >has expired.  They don't want to pay and don't mind
> >living without the security updates and access to RHN.
> > Is this legal or not?  Please provide links from Red
> >Hat documentation if possible to support your
> >position.  Thanks for your time.
>
> I think it is legal of course .. there is some copyrighted things like
> the "redhat logos" or "anaconda-images" but there is a solution:

These are trademarked, not copyrighted. The software itself is
copyrighted (as is all software written these days - it's automatic) but
it's the license you're concerned about.

> use the rpms from centos/whitebox or gralinux and your problem is solved.

This doesn't necessarily solve your problems:
1.  Some are actively violating Red Hat trademarks
2.  You're not running Red Hat Enterprise Linux when you've installed
them.  Some 3rd party code will not install or run properly.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org