RHEL without License?

Ian Waring ian.waring at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:41:06 UTC 2005

> I'm not sure if this question has been brought up
> before or not. I was asked by someone if they can
> continue running RHEL after their yearly subscription
> has expired. They don't want to pay and don't mind
> living without the security updates and access to RHN.
> Is this legal or not? Please provide links from Red
> Hat documentation if possible to support your
> position. Thanks for your time.

I'm the Red Hat Business Manager at one of Red Hat's UK distributors - and
the guidance we always give is "carry on". Matthew Szulik said as much in
one of his interviews earlier this year. In the final analysis, you pay for
the update service and any telephone support. If you don't need either, the
software is unemcumbered. That's one of the beauties of Linux - compliance
is typically far down the list of admin tasks for any end user company.

The only warnings that run contrary to this are Red Hat Desktop evaluation
kits - mainly on some of the contents of the "extras" CD - which are subject
to individual terms from folks like Adobe, Real Networks, Citrix and alike.
Even in those cases, it's largely down to whether they'll chose to change
their own terms and conditions in the future. The current terms appear to
work the way the rest of the Red Hat distribution does.

Ian W.

--
Ian Waring - Simplicity Sells!
ian.waring at gmail.com