10 million files on Redhat?

Cabbar Duzayak cabbar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:46:53 UTC 2005

I am planning to undertake a project where I need to store around 10
million images on (a) dedicated server(s)... At this point, I am
trying to decide whether I should store them on the database or on the
filesystem.

And, my question is do you think Redhat can handle this many files? I
will probably store them on a RAID 5 system, and of course I will
partition them over 4 level of directories and one directory will
contain at most (100 files) or (100 directories), but still, I am
curios to know if Redhat can handle this?

Does anyone have experience with this many files on linux filesystems?
Also, can you recommend which FS would be the best (in terms of
reliability and/or speed) Any suggestions/feedback?

Thanks...