RHEL without License?

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Jul 12 13:41:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:51:50AM -0400, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> I was wondering:  Is it possible for someone who uses a RHEL clone to
> make a donation to redhat?

I posted this question to the Ambassador list and the suggestion there
was to spend the money at the Red Hat store.

Personally, my suggestion would be to make a donation to an open source
project that Red Hat distributes or even any open source project that
provides a RHEL rpm.  Any of those will help Red Hat in the long run.

There are lots and lots of projects out there that need funding.  Drupal
the other day put out a call for funding to buy a new server (they were
getting the facilities donated).  They asked for $3k and were quickly up
to over $9k.  That should allow them to probably put in a nice cluster
that will last a few years.  Drupal is the CMS that drives the web site
for a non-profit organization that I work with and that is hosted on a
RHEL-system based.

The Fedora Foundation, once it has been set up, will be a non-profit
that will require funding to help drive Fedora, the basis for RHEL.  The
Apache Foundation will gladly accept contributions now - see their page
at http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html - for any of their
projects including Apache and SpamAssassin.

Cheers,
        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE