how to find out one of the servers is down

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 14 16:17:22 UTC 2005

There are lots of service monitoring tools out there (probably the
best known are Big Brother (http://www.bb4.com) and Nagios
(http://www.nagios.org).  I personally use Nagios, which can be
configured to notify you via email, pager, or probably even carrier
pigeon.  It can be set up to monitor individual services, too, which a
simple ping solution won't do; I find that it's far more common that,
e.g., the samba *process* crashes rather than the samba *box*, and
Nagios can tell me that.  It can be a little bit of a bear to set up,
but absolutely worth it, IMHO.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University