Grub-install procedure with RH4? (problem with /dev/root.old)

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 18:45:39 UTC 2005

Hello,

Our recovery procedures for RHEL v3 were pretty simple.  We do nightly
backups, and if/when we have to restore, we would restore to a
secondary disk, then install grub. Here are my notes for v3...

boot to CD
linux rescue
if automount fails...
         mount partitions read/write
                  #mount -o rw /dev/sda2 /mnt/sysimage
                  #mount -o rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/sysimage/boot
install master boot record
       #chroot /mnt/sysimage
       #grub-install /dev/sda
#exit (get out of chrooted env.)
       #exit (reboot)

The problem is that with RHEL4, the automount is failing, so we have
to manually mount the partitions.  When we do that, we have a problem
with /dev.

The chroot'd /dev (which was previously /mnt/sysimage/dev) does not
contain the block file sda.  So grub-install /dev/sda complains that
/dev/sda does not exist.

When I look at what an automount does, it somehow mounts /dev/root.old
as /mnt/sysimage/dev.

Is there a way to manually do that, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Shane