Very poor ext3 performance with dir_index, and reiserFS question

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Mon Jul 25 15:23:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

I did some filesystem-tests with some typical (real) mail-data to help
us reconsider our filesystem-choice for our mail-servers.
I was a bit surprised by the bad performance of ext3 with the dir_index
option enabled.

It seemed that writing to partitions with this flag enabled where
considerably faster (about 40%, it was as fast as reiserFS now ;-)) but
that reads where terribly slower: about 10 times worse then without this
option!

Is this known behavior?
If it is; is my conclusion that ext3 without this option would be better
true?

I put a small report of my findings and some graphs on:
http://www.surfnetters.nl/paul/fs/

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but my careful conclusion was that
reiserFS is a better choice for this kind of application. Is there any
(official) way to use reiserFS with RH enterprise (4)?

I tried to recompile the kernel package myself and enable reiserFS in
that, and of course that worked (but this is a bit "houtje-touwtje" as
we call that in Dutch, you probably get the point ;-)). And I still have
to get the reiserFS utils, which I might just take from fedora's SRPMS,
but...
(I tend to say that I'd rather do this then use ext3 with it's strange
behavior (see P.P.S.))

Any advise or feedback is appreciated  :-)

Regards,
Paul

P.S. I did this filesystem tests with Fedora 3, the platform I would run
the mail-platform on would be Redhat 4 - I suppose/hope this didn't make
a real big difference (except for the fact that reiserFS was available!)
since RH 4 was based on FC3... more details on the hardware / software
are in the report.

P.P.S. I also discovered that disabling dir_index with tune2fs and
re-scanning with fsck didn't get the performance back again. So there
you have a filesystem that appears to be without dir_index, but still
has the terrible performance of ext3 -with- the option enabled. Right.
I'd really vote for reiserFS.