When I rsync files they are all double spaced!

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jul 28 15:59:47 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've got a strange problem. When I use rsync to transfer text files from
my linux machine at home (FC3) to my friend's server (RH9 I believe) the
files are all double spaced.

The weird thing about though is that when I md5sum the files, they have
matching hashes. In other words, file-a.php on my server has the same
hash as file-a.php on his server.

Here some more strange things. I only see the double spacing when I open
the files through HTML-Kit on Windows. If I open the transferred files
via pico on his machine they look normal.

Another weird bit is that even though the files have the same hash, they
are still not exactly the same. The reason I know this is because when I
send a redirect header through PHP you cannot have any output to the
client before the header (assuming buffering is off). But on files that
have been rsync'd and have a header redirect, they always fail because
of the extra line at the very end of the file. If I remove all the extra
lines while in HTML-Kit and resave the file via FTP directly to his
server the files start working again like normal!

I think something is happening during the rsync.

Anyone know how I can fix it, or know what's REALLY going on??

Thanks,
Chris.