When I rsync files they are all double spaced!

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:14:11 UTC 2005

> The weird thing about though is that when I md5sum the files, they have
> matching hashes. In other words, file-a.php on my server has the same
> hash as file-a.php on his server.

I'd guess the rsynced files are still identical...

> Here some more strange things. I only see the double spacing when I open
> the files through HTML-Kit on Windows. If I open the transferred files
> via pico on his machine they look normal.

... and that the problem here is down to the difference in CR/LF and
just LF line termination between Windows and Unix text files. If you
compare viewing the files say using Vim for Windows, notepad and
Wordpad it'll display weirdly in Notepad but should look OK in the
others?

> Another weird bit is that even though the files have the same hash, they
> are still not exactly the same. The reason I know this is because when I
> send a redirect header through PHP you cannot have any output to the
> client before the header (assuming buffering is off). But on files that
> have been rsync'd and have a header redirect, they always fail because
> of the extra line at the very end of the file. If I remove all the extra
> lines while in HTML-Kit and resave the file via FTP directly to his
> server the files start working again like normal!

This could just be a difference in the Apache or PHP configs between
FC3 and RH9?

Will.