When I rsync files they are all double spaced!

Wayne Pinette Wpinette at tru.ca
Thu Jul 28 16:33:59 UTC 2005

I would do the following :

ls -l  the original files,
ls -l the files after rsync.

if they are the exact same size, then the files are not being changed
at all, but what is happening is
one or more of your editors is hiding the \13 character.  It is quite
possible that HTML-Kit is ending a line
with \10\13 rather than just \10 and your FC tool is masking it and
your RH-9 is not.  HTML-Kit may have an
option to use windows end of line characters or unix end of line
characters,and since you are in an all unix
evironment, you may want to change it.  I have never used HTML-Kit so I
wouldn't know, but this is just a suggestion.

Wayner

Will McDonald <mailto:wmcdonald at gmail.com>
    on Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:14 AM said:

> ... and that the problem here is down to the difference in CR/LF and
> just LF line termination between Windows and Unix text files.

Right. But the files are being created with HTML-Kit and stored on my
linux machine at home. The files are never saved to or read from my
Windows machine.

The only know difference between these files is that one version was
transferred via rsync.

Both versions are being read by the same Windows program via FTP, but
from different servers.

> If you compare viewing the files say using Vim for Windows, notepad
> and Wordpad it'll display weirdly in Notepad but should look OK in
> the others?

I'd have to download them to my Windows machine to find out (I know
what
you're talking about as far as "display weirdly in Notepad" is
concerned) but that would add yet another variable to the mix.

> This could just be a difference in the Apache or PHP configs between
> FC3 and RH9?

Possible. What about a difference