How to determine if my linux m/c is having 32 or 64 bit Kernel.

Valentino D'Ostilio vale at gdi-tech.com
Thu Jul 28 17:40:10 UTC 2005

These answers are OK, but they only give you the version of kernel you
are RUNNING, not actually what hardware is installed.  (Using the
suggested steps you could be running a 32-bit kernel on a 64-bit
hardware platform and never know it!!).  You are better off doing a `cat
/proc/cpuinfo` to look at details of your CPU(s) as opposed to relying
on a uname.

Just my .02.

Valentino D'Ostilio
GDI Professional Services