Apache and SSL

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Sun Jun 5 05:45:02 UTC 2005

On Jun 4, 2005, at 10:15 PM, David Bear wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 03:56:36PM -0500, Darryl W. DeLao Jr. wrote:
>> I am running Apache 2.0.46 on RHEL 3.0 ES. I have about 8 virtualhosts
>> using port 80. I want to add a virtualhost for port 443. I have the
>> key installed, etc. When I add a virtualhost for this SSL site in my
>> ssl.conf, it works. However, all the other port 80 sites now no longer
>> work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I beleive you cannot do named virtual hosts and ssl simultaneously.
> You must use ip based virtual hosting to get ssl.

Wrong, please don't guess.  You can do named virtual hosts just fine
with SSL.  Each http virtual host should be defined something like:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>

While an SSL virtual host will be defined like:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443>

Of course, you can only have one named SSL virtual host per IP, so it's
not really much of a named-based virtual host (beyond the
configuration, anyways).  Since the OP never revealed his
configuration, we're just guessing anyways.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting