Swap usage is 0%

Rik Herrin rikherrin at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 15:34:28 UTC 2005

Hi,
  I have a server running RHEL ES 3.0 and for some
strange reason, although my physical memory is above
90% usage, the swap usage is still 0%.  I know that in
kernel 2.6, you can set how often to use the swap by
modifying in /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and permentantly
by setting vm.swapiness in /etc/sysctl.conf.
Unfortunately, these are not availabe in RHEL ES 3.0.
Is there any way to mimick what vm.swapiness does on
RHEL ES 3.0?  Thanks for your time.