Memory usage on Red Hat

ubergoonz ubergoonz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 07:14:18 UTC 2005

Hi James,
 thanks for the info. it seems like I have my collegue running from cron
some ?stat command for data collection now. strace is very useful and glad
it was installed as per the build.
 Also, i found some interesting docu on how Linux manages memory.
Linux Memory Management or 'Why is there no free
RAM?'<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-175419-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html>->
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175419

regards,
Leslie
On 6/28/05, James Cooley <jcooley at fit.edu> wrote:

> For truss, the strace command is probably what you are looking for.
> You'll need to install it first: up2date --install strace
>
> For ptree, use the pstree command in Linux.
>
> pstack is the same on Linux as it is on Solaris for the most part,
> but it has to be installed: up2date --install pstack
>
> Also, you may want to look at the manpage for the sar command. Sar
> collects a variety of info about resource usage throughout the day
> and enables you to view the stats.
>
> --James Cooley
>

> On Jun 27, 2005, at 11:05 PM, ubergoonz wrote:
>
> > I have a RHEL server that hugs for no particular reason .. so I
> > need to do
> > some performance monitoring.
> > I am trying to understand how memory are being used and used by what
> > process on Linux.
> > comming from Solaris background, I am more familiar on tools
> > available on
> > Solaris.
> > I wonder if anyone can point me to articles to readup on what's
> > shared,
> > buffers, cached memory are being used in RHEL fromt he `free, vmstat`
> > outputs.
> > and what are equiv to truss, pstack, ptree on Linux if there are
> > similiar
> > tools around.
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,
> > Leslie Joshua Wang
> > --

Best Regards,
Leslie Joshua Wang
"I believe there's a hero in everyone of us, give us strength, make us
noble, even though sometimes, we have to give up the things we want the
most."