Re: How to force a Kernel Panic? (on RHEL 4.0)

I essentially wanted to test RHEL 4.0 netdump clients. Forcing an incorrect parameter as a boot option will indeed cause a panic, but would not serve my purpose.

netdump client is usually started in runlevels 2,3 and later, and panic from forcing a wrong parameter would happen way before it would enter into runlevels.

--Am

Cecilio Marín wrote:

On boot force an root parameter incorrect:   root=LABEL=asdfg

Anu Matthew escribió:

Here is how one would force a RHEL 3.0/2.1 box to panic: http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2004/12/how-to-force-linux-box-to-panic.html

It works well on 2.1/3.0

I've been trying to compile same on RHEL 4.0, but am getting errors:

panic.c:3:9: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
panic.c:4:9: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>

# insmod ./panic.ko
insmod: error inserting './panic.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Any help will be much appreciated.
--Am