Problem to start X-Applications

Padiyath Sreekumaran Kumar.Padiyath at psi.ch
Mon Jun 6 13:55:11 UTC 2005

    Hello,
    I have problems to start X-applications on a linux machine.
    Iam logging from my Linux pc via ssh on a remote Linux
    machine with my username/password.
    In this session I can start X-Application on remote PC(xclock for
example)
    I have in sshd_config(remote linux machine) file following 2 parameters
    are defined as given below:

    X11Forwarding yes
    PermitRootLogin  no

    When I execute su command(su -) and start xclock on the remote linux,
    then I get the following error:

    Error:Cannot open Display

    I also tried after executing  "setenv DISPLAY pcxxxx:0" without success.

    I must say that when I login with "su -m" and then start xclock then it
    works. But then I donot have the correct path definition for root.

    Ex: PC1-------->PC2------->PC2
             ssh         su -

    with regards,
      Kumar

Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
Switzerland              |