amanda question

I have a curious problem.  The other day my amanda backup process failed
because I forgot to change tapes.  No problem, this has happened before.
 because I dump
to disk, then tape from disk to tape, my /var/tmp directory has a
those files right now.

My amanda configuration does an uncompress tar of these disks for this
particular configuration.  Is there any way to get the data out of these
files directly?

Wayner