Configuring Red Hat to use Active Directory (RADIUS or LDAP)

John O'Loughlin j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 13:46:26 UTC 2005

Roughly (off the top of my head):

You need Samba with winbind. Stop samba and run use net join to join
your box to the windows domain.
Service smb start.
Use wbinfo -p to get a list of users on the AD domain (so testing
winbind works)

Use authconfig to authenticate against with kerberos, the realm will be your AD domain and the
server an  AD server.

Edit nsswitch.conf so use winbind for user/group/shadow

In the winbind pam config file in /etc/pam.d the line

session required /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
umask=0077

Ensures users get a home when they log in.

John