Integrating RHE3 & Windows 2k3

Mark Farmer farmerma at cromwell.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:00:03 UTC 2005

Jason Williard wrote:
> I have 5 servers (3 RHE3; 2 Win2k3) that would like to integrate with a
> single authentication system.  The 2 Win2k3 servers are currently connected
> via Active Directory and I have been experimenting with ways of connecting
> RHE3 to Win2k3.  So far, I have tried Microsoft's Services for UNIX.  This
> works, but only synchronizes the password for user's that already exist.
>
> I would like to be able to manage users from a single system, either Windows
> or Linux.  In the ideal situation, I could add, remove or modify users and
> have the changes propagated to all systems.  The only solution that I have
> been presented with so far is to use LDAP to connect to Active Directory and
> provide authentication to the Linux systems.  However, I have run into a
> couple problems.  With the documentation I have been able to find, I would
> need one of two tools; Either Vintela's VAS or AD4Unix.  While VAS seems
> like a good solution, it requires a larger expense than my company can
> afford at this time.  As for AD4Unix, I have been unable to find a recent
> distribution.  From what I can see, the development has halted.
>
> With that, does anyone have any suggestions on what route I should take?
>
> ---
> Thank You
> Jason Williard

If it helps anyone, I found a pdf document (actually it's more of a book!) provided
by MS that deals with this.  I can't provide much more info at this stage as i'm in
the process of working through the relevent parts myself, but it's certainly worth a
look for anyone trying to intergrate linux into win2k3 AD.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=144f7b82-65cf-4105-b60c-44515299797d&displaylang=en

HTH

--
Mark Farmer
Linux System Administrator

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Registered Office: PO Box 14, Chartwell Dr, Wigston, Leicester. LE18 1AT