Login restrictions in NIS environment

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:50:06 UTC 2005

Hello,

OK, I have now made the following changes:

1. Put the system back to how it was before I started all this.

2. Add the following line into "/etc/pam.d/system-auth":
     account    required     /lib/security/pam_access.so

3. Add the following line into "/etc/security/access.conf":
     -:ALL EXCEPT rhobbs nbaker root:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL

It now works perfectly! Everyone is banned from remotely logging into the
system except rhobbs, nbaker and root!

I need to make one more change though... And it doesn't seem to work. I need
to ban root from logging in remotely except from certain IP addresses.

I have tried the following, but it does not allow root to login even from
that IP address:

     -:ALL EXCEPT rhobbs nbaker root at 192.168.0.2:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL

I have also tried using the hostname, and hostname.domain.co.uk instead of
the IP address, but root still cannot log in from that host.

Do you know how I can ban everyone from logging in remotely, except for a
few users, and how I can ban root from logging in from any machine except
particular ones?

Thanks again, this is incredibly useful and massively appreciated :-)

Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377