Anyone used an Ecrix Autopak?

Jay LaPrade jaylaprade at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 16:32:15 UTC 2005

"That doesn't work, either.  All of the mtx commands
give the same
error as `mtx -f /dev/sg0 status` (below), including
load."

A few things to check for:

1)  Is the library Attached?

dmesg | grep Attached

This should return something like the following:

Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun
0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0,  type 8

Type 8 is a library device

2)  Check your SCSI ID's

In general I prefer to set the library to SCSI ID 0
and the tape drives to the next numbers,  so Tape
Drive 1 might be SCSI ID 1

3)  Make sure you are not using luns.  Last time I
checked RH 3 does not have multiple lun support
compiled into the kernel

4)  Do not have the tape library connected to a
MegaRAID or any other SCSI RAID adapter,  Use an
independant SCSI card

5)  If for some reason 1) does not work,  you may be
able to modprobe sg and that will find it.  I have
seen cases where /etc/hotplug/scsi.agent has an
incorrect spelling for the MODULES name for sg.  I
believe it was spelled MOUDLES.