Kernic panic when booting 2.6.9-11ELSmp

jan.peuker at lst-deutschland.de jan.peuker at lst-deutschland.de
Sun Jun 12 13:27:20 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I am facing a strange problem when booting the new 2.6.9-11ELSmp Kernel on my DELL PE1800. Actually, the problem occurs on every kernel except the one firstly installed (2.6.9-5).
When booting, I get the following messages:

Creating root-device
mkrootdev: label / not found
Mouting root filesystem
mount: error 2 mount ext3
mount: error 2 mount none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
unmount /initrd/dev failed: 2
Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

First I thought it may be a naming problem - but grub.conf is configured correctly with the same line for all kernels:
kernel /vmlinuz-<version> ro root=LABEL=/ apic

And fstab tells me that the drive is configured correctly as well and running ext3 (which is a loaded module). The root(hd0,2) is on a Perc4-RAID5-Logical Volume. Could this be the problem? Am I missing anything on this beautiful sunday?

Thanks a lot,

jan