LinkSys LN100 NIC on RHEL4?

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Tue Jun 14 17:44:44 UTC 2005

Bill Medland wrote:
> On June 14, 2005 07:20 am, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>
>>Bill Medland wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me if a Linksys LN100 NIC will or won't run
>>>on RHEL4?
>

> Yes it will (with no trouble at all)

You're answering your own question?  You tested it?

>>>I am going to have to install RHEL4 on an old Compaq that
>>>currently has an old 3c509 card.  On RHEL3 that required
>>>kernel-unsupported which I understand is not provided with
>>>RHEL4, so I guess I need to install a newer NIC.  The
>>>easiest for me is to pick up a LinkSys from FutureShop but I
>>>don't want to pay for something that is known not to work.
>>>
>>>Any information gratefully accepted.
>>
>>If that is a server I'd buy a 3com 905 or an intel Pro/100.
>>Or maybe even think about getting a Gigabit NIC.
>

> Nah.  It's a testing doorstop.

Ok

>>Usually, you can buy a Future Shop, try it, then return it if
>>it doesn't work (within x # of days).
>
> (but I regard that as a little unethical if I can easily get
> guidance first)

Well, I don't want to start a big discussion about this, but I think it
is their game.  They offer you this service, so that you can be sure it
really works before spending the money.  The counterpart is that some
people will buy it without thinking too much about it and rely on the
fact that it can be returned for refund.  Therefore, some people,
because of this policy, will buy while maybe the wouldn't otherwise.