NIC card problems

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Wed Jun 15 14:35:36 UTC 2005

I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2800 and installed Linux on it. I have
installed Linux on several boxes and had few problems, but I definitely
have a problem this time.

This server has dual NIC cards (Intel Corp. 82541 GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller)

I set both up, but they don't seem to be working properly. The minihub
they are plugged into indicated they are running at 10 mbps. Ethereal
indicates that some UDP and other traffic is being received, but no TCP
and nothing seems to be sent out from the cards. There doesn't seem to
be anything out of the ordinary in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0.

I've found a link to someone on this list that had problems with this
card too
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2005-February/msg00155.html>

but their system didn't recognize the card. Mine seems to (ethereal
works with either eth0 or eth1), but it doesn't seem to work properly.

I've tried pinging and ethereal doesn't pick up the traffic. I tried
turning off iptables, and that didn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could test to figure out what is
wrong?

Bill