Realtime snmp based monitoring gui

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 20:57:59 UTC 2005

> I am looking for a free realtime snmp based monitoring tool with a web
> gui, any recommendations?
> I have been using mrtg, but it's not realtime, the default refresh rate
> cannot be less than 5 minutes.
> I need 1 second updates on a web based graph for cpu utilization, and
> network utilization.

You are going to have to deal with some kind of poll interval. snmp simply isn't
designed to provide real time statistics.

5 minutes is a realistic polling interval. 1 minute if you really want to hammer
the devices you are monitoring and increase precision, but anything less than
that and you are going to have issues no matter what you use.

Have a look at this tool: http://www.cacti.net/

It's sort of like mrtg but it does a lot of stuff mrtg does not.

Regards,

Matthew Galgoci

--
Matthew Galgoci