NIC card problems

Michael Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 21:46:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 10:35 -0400, Bill Tangren wrote:
> I just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2800 and installed Linux on it. I have
> installed Linux on several boxes and had few problems, but I definitely
> have a problem this time.

There are several flavours and versions of 'Linux' around. Since you
posted in redhat-list, it is safe to assume that it's Red Hat OS. But
what version, and what release:

cat /etc/redhat-release

I don't know of any specific problem with the e1000 modules for RHEL 3
or 4, but it is very likely that a simple update of the system will
help.

So if you have RHEL3 or 4 and registered with RHN, :

up2date -u
up2date -u kernel kernel-utils --force

If you have the SMP kernel, use 'kernel-smp' in the list of updates to
force.

Also look at the output of   modinfo e1000   . This provides information
on what the module accepts as arguments when it loads.

For doc's on the module, make sure kernel-doc is installed and look
at /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-
<version>/Documentation/networking/e1000.txt

Cheers,
Michael