How to use gcc command

Michael Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 22:03:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 22:31 +0800, redhat-list wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>          I want to use gcc command to compile a C program. My OS is fedora
> 3. I download and installed following rpms successfully. But when I use gcc
> xxx.c the OS prompt "-bash: gcc: command not found". Any idea why this could
> happen?
>
> Thanks for any idea.
>

> binutils-2.15.92.0.2-5.i386.rpm
>
> cpp-3.4.3-22.fc3.i386.rpm
>
> gcc4-4.0.0-0.41.fc3.i386.rpm
>
> glibc-2.3.3-74.i386.rpm
>
> glibc-common-2.3.3-74.i386.rpm
>
> glibc-devel-2.3.3-74.i386.rpm
>
> glibc-headers-2.3.3-74.i386.rpm
>
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.87.i386.rpm
>
> make-3.80-5.i386.rpm

Hi there. The gcc4 RPM package you downloaded contains an executable
called gcc4, not gcc.

The reason this is present in the FC3 distribution is to give choice to
the users. The default gcc version is gcc-3.4.2, and this one contains
the gcc binary executable you need.

Visit fedorafaq.org for some tips on how to install packages. Once you
have yum set up properly, and you have Internet access,

yum install gcc

is all that is needed to download and install RPM packages.

Cheers,
Michael