restrict a normail unix user from going anywhere

Hari N hari2n at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:37:32 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, M E Fieu <sibu168 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks! I actually heard about the sudo method. But could a normal user do
> anything harmful or
> see any sensitive information in our system. it is for a third party
> operator to just restart the
> service. Can we restrict a user to just issue a command or not allow it to
> issue some command ?

A normal user cannot do anything harmful to the system unless he is provided
*root priveleges*.
If the requirement is just to restart a service, all you need to do is to
make crontab run that command as a user whenever required. Yes, you can
restrict the user to issue only that command & he cannot do anything else
with that. You can also restrict a user by not allowing him to use a
particular command.

--
Hari
http://hari.accosted.net