restrict a normail unix user from going anywhere

Hari N hari2n at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:35:42 UTC 2005

On 6/21/05, M E Fieu <sibu168 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks... mm, But what I mean was
> I don't want the user to issue the command that a normal user to issue too
> without doing sudo, for
> example, I don't even want the user to issue more /etc/passwd. Is that
> possible?

Ahh.....got to know what exactly you want. The best thing is to make the
user use restricted bash - rbash.
To do this, edit the /etc/passwd file.

If the user name is "test", then you might have line like this in
/etc/passwd:

test:x:503:503:test:/home/test:/bin/bash

Now change it to: test:x:503:503:test:/home/test:/bin/rbash # (Note the
rbash here instead of bash)

This will give the user a restricted shell from the next time he does a
login. It will not even allow the user to use a "/" in the command line.

For example, if the user does -> test$ cd /etc --> This will say "Error: cd
restricted"

HTH
--
Hari