restrict a normail unix user from going anywhere

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 22 01:00:38 UTC 2005

sibu168 at yahoo.com wrote

<snip>

>there is no rbash under my /bin directory, is it come by default?  Is there any different if it is
>for remote or local user?

<snip>

man bash

Restricted shell is invoked by "bash -r" and provides the following.
Note the references to the late "rbash" command.

    RESTRICTED SHELL

If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at
invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to
set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It
behaves identically to bash with the exception that the following are
disallowed or not performed:

    * changing directories with cd
    * setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV
    * specifying command names containing /
    * specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the .
      builtin command
    * Specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p
      option to the hash builtin command
    * importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup
    * parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup
    * redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection
      operators
    * using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another
      command
    * adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to
      the enable builtin command
    * Using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins
    * specifying the -p option to the command builtin command
    * turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted.

These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read.

When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash
turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script.