Re: iptables output?

Joe Hood wrote:
Why not just send them to a file?  Or better yet, don't log broadcast
messages from IPTables.

On 6/13/05, Bill Tangren <bjt aa usno navy mil> wrote:

Ben Russo wrote:

Bill Tangren wrote:

I have configured iptables on my server, and now now I get output
going to my text windows (in the GUI, do a ctrl+alt+F1 to get to one
of them).

Can anyone tell me how to redirect this output to /dev/null or
someplace else?

Any ideas?

Check your /etc/syslog.conf
You probably have a line that says: kern.*    /dev/console
and maybe *.emerg        *

Look at your /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.
you probably have a LOG target (-j LOG)
you can set --log-level on that line in /etc/sysconfig/iptables

I think those things are what you are looking for.

-Ben.

The line in /etc/syslog.conf is commented out, so it appears that
/dev/console is the default (man syslog.conf doesn't seem to say).

Does anyone know if sending non critical errors to /dev/null harm anything?

kern.info;kern.!err          /dev/null

Thanks,
Bill

--

I tried creating a log for the output by altering the /etc/syslog.conf file. I changed :

#kern.*                                         /dev/console

kern.*                                          /var/log/iptables

This put the output into /var/log/iptables, but the output is STILL going to /dev/console as well. Notice that the appropriate line in syslog.conf was commented out initially.

I don't know how to stop the output going to /dev/console except for stopping the logging of iptables output.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Bill