iptables output?

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Thu Jun 23 20:22:50 UTC 2005

Joe Hood wrote:
> Why not just send them to a file?  Or better yet, don't log broadcast
> messages from IPTables.
>
> On 6/13/05, Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> wrote:
>
>>Ben Russo wrote:

>>>Check your /etc/syslog.conf
>>>You probably have a line that says: kern.*    /dev/console
>>>and maybe *.emerg        *
>>>
>>>Look at your /etc/sysconfig/iptables file.
>>>you probably have a LOG target (-j LOG)
>>>you can set --log-level on that line in /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>>>
>>>I think those things are what you are looking for.
>>>
>>>-Ben.
>>>

>>The line in /etc/syslog.conf is commented out, so it appears that
>>/dev/console is the default (man syslog.conf doesn't seem to say).
>>
>>Does anyone know if sending non critical errors to /dev/null harm anything?
>>
>>kern.info;kern.!err          /dev/null
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Bill
>>
>>--

I tried creating a log for the output by altering the /etc/syslog.conf
file. I changed :

#kern.*                                         /dev/console

kern.*                                          /var/log/iptables

This put the output into /var/log/iptables, but the output is STILL
going to /dev/console as well. Notice that the appropriate line in
syslog.conf was commented out initially.

I don't know how to stop the output going to /dev/console except for
stopping the logging of iptables output.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Bill