samba 2.2.6 file size limit/recovery

We have run into a problem with the file size limit on the 2.2.6 version
our Tru64 5.1 unix server was running.  With this version of the samba
software files larger than 2 GB can not be transfered and retain thier
integrity.  This version also supresses any error message back to the
client about this limitation.  We would like to know if it is possible to
restore any of the files that were impacted by this problem.  Does anyone
know of a restore procedure?

Thanks,
Chris Judd