eth0 has different mac address than expected

James A Savage james.savage at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 18:19:47 UTC 2005

Michael,

Thanks for your help with this.

/etc/modprobe.conf showed "alias eth0 e100" but lsmod did not show the e100
module loaded. I tried running "modprobe -v e100", but I got an error
message indicating that the e100 module could not be found, even though the
file existed: /lib/modules/2.6.9-5.EL/kernel/drivers/net/e100.ko.

I ran depmod to load dependencies, then modprobe -v e100. The module loaded
and lsmod now shows e100 loaded.

When I restarted networking (service network restart) the eth0 interface
came up.

Thanks again,
Jim