System keeps dropping into shell.

Ong Ying Ying yingy at pc.jaring.my
Mon Jun 27 09:00:25 UTC 2005

No such error message.

I added the CDRW long before this. Incorrect device name, no, but maybe
fsck incorrect filesystem type. The error did say something about ext2
filesystem and I think it tried to fsck ext2 / for me but it failed. I
guess the system is ext3 not ext2. I didn't install that system. So,
what can be done?

I have tried going into rescue mode using the installation CD but /etc
seemed to be empty. No fstab. In fact, it was worse than logging into
shell.

Logging into shell at the error is better as it has everything (I guess)
in /bin, /etc, /root, /sbin and /mnt. Though fstab is there, it has
nothing inside.

I guess the links are gone (whoops) or corrupted and I don't know how to
recover them. :-( I'll have to try to run the system in this state like
mounting the CDRW and backing some data. Cannot chmod so I guess cannot
mount too but can shutdown.

The worst and last solutions, reinstall unless some one has a solution.
Thanks anyway.

YYOng