password protectoion

Anton Antonov aantonov at neterra.net
Mon Jun 27 09:08:49 UTC 2005

Dear RedHat,

My name is Anton Antonov and I’m a system administrator in Neterra
Bulgaria. In our office we have LAN including Linux and Windows
desktops. We have server running under Red Hat Linux 7.2 with kernel
2.4.28. On this server we have Samba v.2.2 for Windows based Desktop
Machines and NFS for Linux based Desktop Machines. Using this server we
have encountered a problem which we cannot solve. We need software that
can restrict the access to several directories by password and at the
same time all the users who have access to these directories to be able
to access them simultaneously.

First we tried to solve this problem by exporting several directories by
Samba and to protect them by NIS passwords. The problem that we met here
was that the Linux users couldn’t modify the permissions to the files
which they create.

After that we tried with some encryption tools like BCrypt. The problem
this time was that when there was a user logged in, no one else could
get access to the same directory.

At the end we tried with Cryptoloop and Twofish encryption, but we
couldn’t find a tool that mounts encrypted file system on a Windows
Desktop Installation. We exported this encrypted file systems via NFS
and mounted them on all Linux Desktop Installations using loop devices.
Not long after we found out that if somebody changes any file, the other
desktop installations can see that change only if they remount the
encrypted file system.

I’m sure there are other decisions to that problem, but apparently they
are out of my knowledge. I’m kindly asking you for HELP!!!

I’m looking forward to your forthcoming reply.

Regards, Anton Antonov

--
Anton Antonov
Network Operations Center