Up2date newbie; things to look out for

Greetings -

I am new to managing a RHEL3 server for a small office and have some questions regarding using up2date that I could not find in the RedHat Network Reference guide or elsewhere in my search on-line. My Dell PE2600 is primarily used as a Samba file server and is running a stock installation of RHEL3 ( 2.4.21-4.ELsmp) and all of the associated packages from our original installation last year. RHN shows that our system should have 400+ errata and 300+ packages installed to be up to date. I would like to begin maintaining our system in an up2date fashion on a regular basis, but am concerned about potential down-time from something going wrong in the process of getting my system up to date from this point. My office-mates would not be friendly if our server was down for a day. Can anyone give me some tips on things I should look out for; potential problems to be aware of, or preventative measures to ensure continued uptime during the up2date process? I am assuming that I will complete the entire update process in a series of steps over a week period, but is there a sequence that I should follow. Should I select certain packages to update first, or last? When should I update the kernel during the process? Any inside tips that come from hands-on experience is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com