Fedora core 4 and MySQL problems

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 00:44:33 UTC 2005

--- Frappy John <frappyjohn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wait! Stop! Don't reinstall anything.
>
> On 6/24/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I upgraded my Redhat 9 to Fedora core 4 a few days
> > ago.  I can bring up the desk top in GUI mode, I
> > believe that's run level 5.  I checked my apache
> and
> > PHP are both in running shape.  But I have one
> problem
> > with mysql.  The server is supposed to come up as
> > service but it does not.  The following shows up
> when
> > I do service –status-all
> >
> > /etc/init.d/mysql.server: line 121:
> my_print_defaults:
> > command not found
> > Usage: /etc/init.d/mysql.server start|stop|restart
> >
> > Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> The error message merely says that
> /etc/init.d/mysql.server doesn't
> recognize the request you just gave it.
>
> Try the ps command to see if mysqld is running:
>
>    ps x
>
>    ps x | grep mysqld
>
> (There is probably also a desktop gui utility that
> tells you what
> processes are running).
>
> If it's not running, try running it.
>
>    service mysqld start
>
> Then configure your system to start it automatically
> at boottime (in
> the System V service configuration)
>
> > My guess is that I need to uninstall the mysql and
> > reinstall from a newer rpm.  Am I on the right
> track?
>
> No. That's using a jackhammer to drive a nail.
> Besides, we all need to
> understand the details of system configuration.
> Otherwise we just keep
> pulling out the jackhammer!
>
> > How can I be sure the after I install a new
> version
> > that it will come up as a service?
>
> Read up on "System V init"
>
> > Thanks for your help.
> np
> Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I tried your suggestion,
unfortunately I can't bring up mysqld manually either.
 I get the following message:

[snip]
mysqld: unrecognized service
[/snip]

I also tried:
/etc/init.d/mysql.server start

Then I get the error message:

[snip]
/etc/init.d/mysql.server: line 121: my_print_defaults:
command not found
Can’t execute /usr/bin/mysqld_safe from dir /
[/snip]