LogWatch error

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Tue Jun 28 18:37:04 UTC 2005

Ryan Golhar wrote:

> This is appearing in the logwatch emails I get from my machines.  Can
> someone tell me what this means?  I tried googling it but didn't get
> much...
>

>  --------------------- sendmail Begin ------------------------
>
> **Unmatched Entries**
>    STARTTLS=client, relay=mx1.umdnj.edu., version=TLSv1/SSLv3,
> verify=FAIL, cipher=AES256-SHA, bits=256/256: 1 Time(s)

Such messages mean that the sendmail has sent or received e-mail message
with the use of SSL encryption of mail between mail servers. Sendmail
will use SSL whenever your server and other mail server with which your
server exchanges mail are both configured to allow SSL. The message is
absolutely harmless and may be ignored.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com