No script output to stdout,stderr

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 1 04:01:13 UTC 2005

On 18:51 21 Feb 2005, Brendan Gibson <Brendan.Gibson at bds.tv> wrote:
| I am using a new installation of Red Hat Enterprise 4.  I have a problem
| in that when I run a script from the command line I do not get any
| output.
|
| I have tried a shell script and a perl script, listed below:
|
| shcheckout.sh:
|
| #!/bin/sh
| echo "Shhhh...."
|

| checkout.pl
|
| #!/usr/bin/perl -w
| use strict;
| print "I am a perl script\n";
|
| I can run the scripts like
|
| $ sh shcheckout.sh
| Shhhh....
|
| AND
|
| $ perl checkout.pl
| I am a perl script
|
| However running them as
|
| ./shcheckout.sh
| AND
| ./checkout.pl
|
| produce no output, but redirecting the output to a file works OK.
|
| Does anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

No, I don't know what's going on. It is not normal at all.
Do other commands produce output in that shell?
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

A software engineering discussion from Perl-Porters:
Chip Salzenberg:        The wise one has seen the calamity,
                        and has proceeded to hide himself.
                        - Ecclesiastes
Gurusamy Sarathy:       He that observeth the wind shall not sow;
                        and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.