Kernel Panic with Latest AS v.4 update

Jeff Murphy jeff.murphy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:18:09 UTC 2005

the system is configured correctly. it isn't a grub issue or an fstab issue.
if i boot the default kernel, 2.6.9-5.EL, everything's OK. if i boot
the custom kernel, 2.6.9-prep, it fails with the 'mkrootdev' error.
here's what i did:

installed RHAS3 previously
upgraded to RHAS4 via the CD anaconda process
booted RHAS4, observed everything was OK
installed pending patches via up2date. rebooted again.
everything still OK.

i then entered the following commands:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
up2date --nox --get-source kernel
rpm -iv /var/spool/up2date/kernel-2.6.9-5.0.3.EL.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 ../SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
  (all patches applied successfully, no errors reported)
cd ../BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9
cp configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config .config
make oldconfig
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install
reboot

selected "2.6.9-prep" from the grub menu, observed that the kernel
panics. power cycled (btw, is it possible to reboot the machine
without power cycling it when the kernel panics before starting init?)
and selected the pre-built kernel. observed that it booted fine.

no adjustments were made to the kernel source, i don't know why it
fails to boot.