backup software for Informix

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 19:43:52 UTC 2005

Legato is good (but you need the disk staging add-on), but it costs, my
favourite though is Tivoli that backs up to disk by default, then
archives to tape, it costs as well, I have not used the server on Linux
but Im told its good.

There is no real OSS backup software I am aware of. Try
www.freshmeat.net but I don't think you are going to be in luck. If you
could get Informix to dump itself as a file to a harddrive, (which I
thought it could?) then Amanda is a good network backup tool, though nfs
mounts and tar rock for me.

Also there is a hot and cold option, ie will the backup be done while
the DB is on line (hot), or do you offline (cold) the db while the
backup is done. Hot backup costs more.....

Regards

Thing