edit user

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:02:17 UTC 2005

Which Red Hat version are you using?  I tried it on Red Hat Enterprise 3 (I
haven't upgraded to 4 yet) and it works fine.

Your Red Hat version may accept '.' in the login name but the shell command
may get confused with the '.'

Try the following:

usermod -l 'rizwan1.khan' rizwan1

If this does not work, there is nothing wrong with editing the /etc/passwd
file manually.  This will not corrupt other login programs.  Try it.  If you
cannot login or su to that username then your system will not allow '.' in
the login name.

If you can login with a '.' in the username and you want to put all this in
a script (instead of editing manually), use the 'sed' command (stream
editor) to edit the /etc/passwd.  You can use the following commands after
you have created a user called rizwan1khan:

cat /etc/passwd | sed {s/rizwan1khan/rizwan1.khan/} > /etc/passwd

You may want to verify that permissions on /etc/passwd are accurate after
this and reset them.  Depending on what the root umask is set to, you may
end up with permissions you do not want.

Michael