Swap space with 12G memory

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Thu Mar 17 00:28:35 UTC 2005

As I said only a rule of thumb based on my 15 years of experience I
think it's on the mark.
> > So in your case 18 - 24g of swap.
> Thats its very stupid.
> why waste so much disk in something not worthy?
> I always says if you have a lot of RAM because you need it
> (Big DB) and you start to use to much swap (>512) better buy more RAM.
If you don't like it don't use it. Don't come here and flame a response
to a question that was asked. I currently run a rules based oracle
datbase with 100 users that requires 20 gig of ram to run, My swap is
about 40 gig and 20% is used. But during peak times I have seen it go as
high as 50%. The reason is not every process can use memory paging so it
needs to page or swap to disk.
> > I would check to see if your app requires that much ram.
> as far as i know, there is not such thing like "much ram".
Yes there is, sizing documents and minimal memory requirements and you
can also by doing something called a load test to support what is in
your enviornment and what you are testing on.

Albert Smith
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services