RHEL BIND issue setting up slave.

Craig Daters craig at westpress.com
Mon Mar 21 21:11:49 UTC 2005

I am upgrading a system to RHEL ES 4 from Red Hat 9. This machine is one
I am trying to set up as a slave DNS server to my master with the intent
that it will eventually become the primary.

I have everything installed and up2date, with basic defaults. I have my
networking stuff all configured and working. On the primary, my zone
files are updated to point to my new server as a slave NS and MX, as
well as the can_transfer directive in my named.conf file. I made sure
that my serial numbers were all updated, and I have tailed the logs to
make sure that everything reload correctly.

When I restart the master, it updates my other slaves like before
(hosted off site). The slave starts up okay.

The named.conf file on the slave has the obligatory info:

zone "domain.name" IN {
	type slave;
	file "db.domain.name";
	masters { 012.345.678.90; };
};

When it tries to grab (or I issue an "rndc reload" command) the zone
info, this is what I see:

Mar 21 13:52:38 arwen named[26940]: loading configuration from
'/etc/named.conf'

Mar 21 13:52:38 arwen named[26940]: dumping master file: tmp-XXXXF0Bog8:
open: permission denied

Mar 21 13:52:38 arwen named[26940]: transfer of 'westpress.com/IN' from
192.168.0.67#53: failed while receiving responses: permission denied

Mar 21 13:52:38 arwen named[26940]: transfer of 'westpress.com/IN' from
192.168.0.67#53: end of transfer

I cannot figure it out! I have checked, and doublechecked my logs. I
notice that there are some new chroot folders on the slave machine, and
seemingly a whole new directory structure for named. I am not familiar
with this setup, could this have something to do with my problem? Might
anyone have some insight that could guide me towards a solution?

CD
--

Craig Daters (craig at westpress.com)
Systems Administrator

1663 West Grant Road
Tucson, Arizona 85705
(520) 624-4939
(520) 624-2715 fax

www.westpress.com

--
Please note: It is the policy of West Press that all e-mail
sent to and from any @westpress.com address may be recorded

This message has been scanned for UCE (spam), viruses,
and dangerous content, and is believed to be clean.