Linux vs Windows (Postgres)

Bob Smith bob at netprt.com
Thu Mar 24 17:18:54 UTC 2005

Only a few reasons why that I can think of.

-Linux scales to multiple processors and multiple processor types.

-You can move PostgreSQL to larger UNIX boxes other than Linux,
and can be sure that it will run.

-PostgreSQL is originally a UNIX based solution, and most of the
tools that are available run on UNIX platforms.

-Windows costs more to scale than Linux.  Windows costs more to
manage and maintain than Linux.

-Linux threading is stronger than Windows, and supports multiple
processes better, resulting in reduced equipment costs and longer
equipment rotations.

-UNIX solutions are inherently more secure and less subject
to break-in, reducing the theft potential by break-in or corruption
by virus.  Windows platforms are notoriously weak with respect
to virus protection.  Management and maintenance costs would
be reduced.

-Windows upgrade cycle is consistently about 2-3 years to replacement,
resulting in higher equipment replacement costs.

-The Windows solution is only recent.  It's usually a good idea
to let the technology mature a bit before trusting an Enterprise
solution to it.

-There is a lot of support from other UNIX-based PostgreSQL users.

HTH,

-Bob