two subnets thru same wire

James Cooley jcooley at fit.edu
Fri Mar 25 04:47:50 UTC 2005

Q1 and Q2: Yes, as long as each pair is using the same subnet mask (
such as 255.255.255.0).

Q3: There should not be any problems.  The hub will pass all of the
traffic going into it on all ports though.

Q4:  Using a switch would work as well, but it will improve bandwidth
utilization, since it can route packets to their destination port
instead of just retransmitting the packets on all of it's ports like a
hub.

--James Cooley