two subnets thru same wire - netmask

Shiraz Baig shiraz_baig at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 15:34:59 UTC 2005

Patrick Campbell <PCampbell at ourvacationstore.com> has
stated that "Your subnet mask will need to be
255.255.0.0." That is the whole point. If I make the
netmask as 255.255.0.0 then the point that I am trying
to make is defeated. I do not want to make
the netmask 255.255.0.0. I want to retain it as
255.255.255.0.

Basically, it is an academic question which we were
discussing in the class. I am trying to ascertain
whether two class C networks  can communicate amongst
their network computers, through the same wire.

I personally, think, they can. Because When host A
wishes to talk to host C, it "ANDs" the destiation IP
address with netmask and gets its own network address.
So, it simply sends the message to
its own network. The C computer should receive it.
Same reasoning applies to other network, when B wishes
to talk to D.

If I change the netmask to 255.255.0.0. then it is one
network. It is not two networks. So, the purpose of
mixing two networks is not achieved.

So, please give your comments again. With the netmask
255.255.255.0 will host A be able to talk to C and
host B talk to host B.

Thanks.
bye
shiraz