NSCD Bug?

Rigler, Stephen C. srigler at marathonoil.com
Fri Mar 4 16:52:50 UTC 2005

I'm posting this question here, because I haven't found anything
relevant on Bugzilla (or maybe nobody has noticed experienced the
problem under similar cirumstances).

I've noticed this problem on both RH9 and RHES3:

1. An account/group exists in both NIS and local files
2. The machine is running nscd
3. nsswitch.conf has "files nis" for both group and passwd

The problem:

Lookups for the account (getpwent, getgrent or whatever) may,
intermittently, retrieve the information out of NIS rather than local
files.  Stopping or restarting nscd seems to clear up the problem.

The RHES3 machines haven't been up2date'd in awhile (I've noticed there
is a nscd update available, but not sure if it would fix our problem),
and the RH9 machine has the most recent nscd available (AFAIK, it's
2.3.2-27.9.7).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if any errata have been released to
address this issue (or if it is even a known problem).

-Steve