nfsd/portmapper and iptables on Linux 4

James Cooley jcooley at fit.edu
Thu Mar 10 20:21:17 UTC 2005

Yes. I know this problem well :) There are a couple of RPC services in
addition to portmapper and nfs (rquotad and mountd) used by NFS that
bind to a random port at startup.

The solution is to add the ports to your /etc/services file such as the
following:
rquotad 950/tcp
rquotad 950/udp
mount 951/tcp
mount 951/udp

Restart nfs, and those two services will bind to the ports specified.
Just add those ports to your firewall rules and you should be in business.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

James Cooley
Sr. Systems Analyst